Wednesday, October 6, 2010

14 years & a trip to new york city

To celebrate our fourteen year anniversary Travis and I took a trip to New York City, we had such a good time, it just went by too quickly! We wished we could have stayed at least one more day to squeeze in a little bit more site-seeing.  The weather was pretty perfect.  Wouldn't you know they broke a heat record that Friday we were there, it was 89 degrees.  It wasn't terrible just a little muggy.  The other days were perfect and thank goodness the day we left is the day the down-pour began.

The first day we joined the contest winners from Travis' work on shopping spree.  Kathy wanted to show them where you shop when you are living the high-life.  She took us all to Bergdorf Goodman.  Let's just say I will never be shopping at this store in my life, not even for a pair of socks. It was fun to look at something and then guess the price before flipping the tag.  I just kept thinking to myself, "you know how much I could buy at Target for the same price?"
 
how about this $7000 outfit
I enjoyed looking at the displays just about as much as anything.  And Travis enjoyed chatting it up on his phone.





That night we went to see this.
It was FABULOUS and probably the highlight of my trip!  We also saw this.

It was not a highlight.  I did not care for this show at all, not the language, not the smoking, not the underlying themes. I wish we would have gone to Mary Poppins instead, but oh well, now I told Travis we have a reason to come back.

While in New York we stayed at the W on 49th and Lexington.  The hotel was very modern and I thought it gave us a real New York experience because the rooms were so small and contemporary. 








Our teeny weeny bathroom

Hanging out the bathroom window that completely opened, I  was surprised that they don't worry about someone jumping or falling 12 stories. It sure did make me nervous but I hate heights, it took my stomach just to look out so I just stuck  one arm to take the picture below. 

This was the view out the bathroom window.

This is the view I had of the Marriott hotel across the street.

 The second day I came into the room and plopped on the bed to rest my aching feet and found myself eye-to-eye with this guy. Believe me you are lucky this is a fuzzy picture, unfortunately my view wasn't so fuzzy.  He laid on the bed in his boxers with lights on and curtain open for a 24 hour period. Believe me, I would check every time I came in the room.  I would say to Travis, "yep he's still there".  And Travis would yell, "quit looking", and I would say "so what he doesn't care".  Then I wondered maybe he's dead, like had a heart attack or someone murdered him, wouldn't that be something like a CSI experience right in NYC.  I checked the next morning when I woke up and sure enough, he was still laying there,weird!  We went out and by late that afternoon when we came back in, I checked again, and GONE, never saw him again.

Across the street the other way was the Waldorf Astoria and President Obama was staying there along with a lot of dignitaries from other countries for the UN meetings over the weekend.  This was a little bit of a headache because of all the extra security, the motorcades, secret service and police everywhere, the blocked of streets, etc.  I have never seen so many black suburbans in my life!


This concludes the first portion of our trip, more to come later.  I don't want to make the post tooooo long or you will get bored and quit reading, I know because that happens to me sometimes on blogs.  Stay tuned for more because I'm not done, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment