On Saturday, we joined a couple of families and did a late afternoon hike in the Superstition Mountains just east of us.
Here is a real dorky picture of Travis and I.
And a good one of this handsome hiker.
Always collecting rocks, no matter where we go; that is Austin for you!
Nicholas had been on a field trip the day before and learned all the history behind the Superstition Mountains and especially the story of the fabled lost gold mine and the Lost Dutchman. He was telling all of the adults a very detailed recap of the story. He now has a very peaked interest in finding gold. On the hike he kept saying, "just what if we found one of the mines?!". I wish!
The scenery was pretty but the sunset was even prettier as we made our way back down the mountain.
When we got to the bottom we had a fire and tin-foil dinners and then some very sticky s'mores. It was such a fun time. The kids had a great time and kept thanking us for taking them. I did give up my date night for the hike but it was worth it. I made a mental note while I was sitting by the fire to step back from the "world" in 2011 and spend more times like these with our family. Time with NO cell phones, electronics, computers or chaos to interrupt us is so rare, so it is
this time with my hubby and kids that I crave. They are growing up fast and as you can see from the pictures Chloe could not pull herself away from the "world" to join us. She missed out, but I am sure I can not convince her of that.
Sydney is totally into rock collecting too. She decided to fill up her backpack with rocks and bring it for her show-and-tell. Her teacher said that she let everyone touch one:) She cracks me up!
ReplyDeleteDid you ever get my Christmas card?
Also, nobody ever tells me anything...what did Natalie name her baby?
Love your blog!