I know it doesn't look like that big of a mess,...let me give you a little more perspective on the disaster.
Just so you know that I am not exaggerating about the magnitude of this mess, it is on just about every surface- the floor, six shelves bottom & top, and the ceiling.
Now I will tell you what all the green stuff covering my entire pantry is.
It is salsa. On Thursday, Chloe and I went to a boutique and they were selling the most delicious salsa. We bought a bottle and finished it off that day. It tasted soooo yummy I thought I would hurry back to the boutique and buy some more, which I did on Saturday. I bought a quart size jar of the green salsa because it was good too and two pint size jars of the yummy original salsa we had tasted. The kids begged to open it but I said no we were saving it for over the Thanksgiving holiday and put it on the pantry shelf.
I had been feeling a little stomach sick all weekend so I went to bed a little early, Travis came in and went to sleep a little after ten and then KAAABOOOOM we woke up to a loud crashing sound about 11:30 last night. Travis bolted out of bed, I'm sure thinking we were having a break-in. I knew it wasn't that because no alarm, so we started looking around to see what fell. Travis opened the pantry and said "Heidi, it was your salsa." I thought it seemed a little weird that it would fall off the shelf because I put it there myself and knew it wasn't close to the edge or anything so after looking a little closer we discovered that it didn't fall off the shelf but exploded. I could hear a little noise, kind of like a hissing noise. I picked up the other two bottles of salsa and saw that they were moving inside, bubbling and hissing. Possessed salsa I had just purchased. Anyway opened those two bottles in the sink, they were under so much pressure they popped the minute I unscrewed the lid. My pantry would have been green and red because I am sure they would have exploded too.
I made the mistake of not staying up to clean the mess last night or taking Travis up on his offer to clean it up. I felt way to sick. This morning it is hardened on and taking me way longer to scrub off surfaces. I went back to bed but could not fall asleep partially due to my stomach ache and the other part wondering if I was dying from botulism due to the bad salsa I had eaten on Thursday. I had to get up and read on the inter net about canning. Yes, you can get botulism from exploding canned goods but I would probably already be dead if was botulism. Most exploding canned goods are from improperly processing but couldn't find any information if you can get sick from it. I am sure you do because isn't it bacteria growing that makes the jar explode in the first place?
Then I am thinking, I know the girl who made the salsa, she is in my ward, there were 2 different kinds of salsa that had this problem, is she going to kill someone, should I tell her, doesn't she know how to can, how is she going to get the word out that her salsa is bad, are there other exploding jars???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will tell you this, her salsa tastes delicious, I'm not so sure about her canning techniques. I wasted $16.50 on the salsa that now cakes my walls and I have another 4+ hours of scrubbing to look forward to.
A disaster in my book!
to my cousin Emily- now I have an even more similar experience than the one I told you before. I am just grateful mine only involved one jar and no smoke or burning smell!




No comments:
Post a Comment