Sunday, August 8, 2010

canoe trip

Holden & Travis went on a canoe trip this weekend.  It was Holden's first official Boy Scout event. Everything they needed had to fit into two 5 gallon buckets.  Two buckets a piece and it had to include all of their -
  •  clothes
  •  food
  •  sleeping bag
  •  stove to cook the food on
  •  and anything else they might need to survive out in the wild
The only thing outside the buckets could be a gallon of water and fishing equipment.  Good thing packing is one of my talents. People are either packers or non-packers (did you know this?), other fellow packers are my brother-in-law, Ryan, my brother, David, my Dad, mmm I can't think of any others right now.  Oh, ya, someone in the Malouf family...I remember when my cousins Rebecca & Sam came to visit us in Germany and they had everything you could ever possibly need packed neatly in individual Ziploc bags.  That obviously made an impression on my young mind.  Anyway enough on the packing tangent.

Leaving.

They rowed five miles across a lake to get to their campground.

Then they did a lot of swimming and some fishing.
Cooked their own food and had a SLEEPLESS night.  I noticed no pics from Travis of the sleeping conditions, I think that is because by that time they were so miserably HOT they were just hoping the night to pass as fast as possible. According to Travis it was unbearable.  They had to go into tents because there was a skunk in the campground, then there was a monsoon storm but the heat and humidity were relentless.

The next morning they cleaned up camp and rowed the five miles back across the lake to come home.  They came home tired, sore and more thankful than ever for air conditioning.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I WISH I was a good packer! It's my dad who is good at that! I am in the middle of moving YET AGAIN right now...I am skipping that whole packing thing and just throwing stuff in the car and driving it 5 miles down the road...MUCH better:)

    ReplyDelete