Tuesday, July 20, 2010

be grateful

Right before we left on our trip Holden had an endoscopy done at Phoenix Children's Hospital.  It was just a day procedure.  We have been trying to get to the bottom of his "failure to thrive".  This particular procedure was to look at his digestive tract and look for any signs of Celiac Disease, Crohn's Disease, or any intolerance or allergies to certain foods.  They found NONE of these things.  This is good and bad, good because we don't have to deal with any of these things but bad because we still don't have an answer.  There was something the doctor saw that could indicate a parasite so we will be doing further testing on this in the next month or so.  From here on out it is just EAT, EAT, EAT for Holden!

That day in PCH, I was amazed at what I felt.  It wasn't worry for Holden or for what they might find, it was an overwhelming feeling of how grateful I am for my kids and their good health.  Holden's problems seem so insignificant compared to most of the kid's I saw there. We saw kids that were terminally ill or who face a lifetime of hospital stays.  While in the waiting room Holden and I talked about this. I told him that when we think our lot in life is tough we should  think about these kids and be grateful for what we have.  I felt so much compassion for these families I saw, that were obviously facing trials that I would not want to be facing and I thanked Heavenly Father for the health that my family enjoys and prayed for those who do not share that same blessing.

1 comment:

  1. I find myself feeling the same way when Talmage is in the hospital...he has more health issues than most kids but then I see the other kids at the hospital who are SO sick and I feel so overwhelmed with gratitude.

    ReplyDelete