Students earn the honor by excelling in scholarship, leadership, citizenship, service and character -- the five pillars of NJHS.
The ceremony took me right back to Middle School in Heidelberg, Germany. It was the exact same as it was 25 years ago. They light candles for each of the 5 pillars and say something about that pillar.
My eighth grade year of NJHS I was the Secretary so I got to light one of the candles - Service. I can still remember part of what I said -
Former President of the United States, John F. Kennedy said, "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
I thought my Dad would hate my part beause I knew Pres. Kennedy was not one of his favorites, but he never said anything. During Chloe's ceremony they said something else for Service, I was slightly disappointed.
But very proud of Chloe for her great achievement! Congratulations!





No comments:
Post a Comment