Thursday, August 30, 2012

catching up

Some happenings over the last week or so-

Austin started karate!  He has begged to do karate for the last couple of years but I have not known where to squeeze it in, not to mention it is SO expensive around here.  Then last year, at our end-of-the year parent/teacher conference his Kindergarten teacher suggested that Austin could benefit from karate and the lessons of self-discipline. Fast forward to a this year, they offered a 6 week Karate class as an after-school activity at his school, BINGO, he was signed up.  This was his first class.

I was kind-of disappointed when I learned that I had to attend the karate class also.  It is right after-school at the height of chaos, but after this first class I was sold!  Karate was less about kicking and punching and more about-
  • listen to your parents
  • do things the first time you are asked
  • do things without being ask
  • show respect by looking at adults in the eye and saying yes sir/mam
  • pay attention
  • learn your phone number
This is going to be GREAT and so worth the hour of sitting there!  Austin with his newly earned white belt.

Holden has been working very hard this summer on his Scouting and was awarded his Star and 18 Merit badges last week.  He has a goal to get his Eagle by next summer, let's hope he stays on track!  Nicholas is creeping up right behind him.  Wouldn't it be great to get 2 eagle projects done for the price of one!

We went boating on Saturday and had a great time!

Everyone did a little wake-boarding but I only have pictures of Holden, sorry Nic & Chloe.
Nic and Holden are getting pretty good. The more daring they get, the harder the crashes.  Ouch, I can't believe they are so tough...I am a wimp!
Austin is happy to knee-board and thinks he is the champ at that.
What a difference a year makes- Austin was even daring enough to do some cliff jumping.
Chloe and her friend Meg getting ready to do a jump.  I think Chloe has the shocked look in this picture because Austin had just jumped off without a second of hesitation (can you see his splash?).
Those two looking pretty tired after wake-boarding and several crashes.
But the most favorite thing of all was getting pulled around behind the boat just holding onto the rope.  They liked to see who could hold on the longest and the winner was NIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment